At a minimum, but most importantly, your pet needs an annual physical exam. For senior pets, pets with chronic health issues, or those on long-term medications we recommend physicals twice yearly. Remember, pets age at a faster rate than humans (see age comparison chart) so their health can undergo significant changes in a shorter period of time. Do not underestimate the power of a good physical exam! It can provide valuable information leading to the diagnosis of a wide variety of health problems or diseases.
In the past several years, immunizations have been somewhat controversial. You can have your pet vaccinated with confidence at Cherry Point, knowing our veterinarians have followed the research closely and adjusted our guidelines accordingly. These recommendations may vary for your pet and checking his/her titers (the level of immunity in their blood) is always an option. As a general rule, the vaccinations we require in order for you pet to stay with us are as follows:
- Canine Distemper/Parvo Combination Vaccine
- Bordetella (kennel cough)
- Canine Influenza Vaccine is also offered, though not required unless admitted into our facility for boarding, grooming, surgery, or hospitalization.
- Feline Distemper Combination Vaccine
- Feline Leukemia (optional but highly recommended)